Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thanksgiving, Seafall, Bushes of Love, Somerset

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving break is over. Well, it has been over for about a week now. But one more thing I am thankful for: driving home safely afterwards.  In Mesa, we looked online and also heard that there was a severe weather warning in Utah. I remember driving to Fallon one year, I think it was for Thanksgiving, that the roads were just super terrible. I remember passing a piece of highway where three cars had skidded off onto the side of the road, and one point where there was just one lane which was slick. It was a nightmare. So learning about the severe weather literally gave me a panic attack and anxiety. We left on Sunday after sacrament. We were going to originally go straight up through the Kanab route but with the weather warning I wanted to be on interstates the entire time: none of this going on one-liner streets through the woods in the middle of nowhere at night. So we decided to take the route through Las Vegas.

We got on the road, and everything was going smoothly. There was this one point where it started pouring down rain like crazy and that was pretty frightening.  Then there was this one point in the road which I missed last year: there's this turn I'm supposed to make off of the 40 to stay on the 95, and last trip I missed it and had to backtrack a bit to get back on the right trail. This time I knew that that might happen and so I was on the lookout. And I missed it again. I knew something was off when I passed the sign saying: "Welcome to California." Great. But by that time we were so far off that it was faster to just keep on that road and turn north later on. By the time we finally got to Vegas due to my mistake, it was already dark. But the Lord blessed us and we were able to be on our way.  I was still anxious about the horrible snowy weather that was coming up. But in the end, the Lord blessed us yet again and the roads were nice and clear and there was inly one spot where it was really snowing, but we got through that super easily. When we reached Provo finally at around 12:30 a.m., it was softly letting down flakes of snow, but absolutely nothing like that trip to Fallon I was talking to you about. So we were definitely blessed.

Winterim

Winterim year: It looks like off the three blocks, I'll be teaching my Psychology and Science class during the first block, my Game Design class during the third block, and during the second block I'll be... doing lunch duty, I guess? There are four teachers who aren't teaching a class second block and are instead doing lunch duty.  But it will a nice break.

Seafall

I've been looking up the game Seafall in preparation to play the campaign this Christmas break with Eric, Ryan, and Alex. It seems pretty interesting. I'm not sure what course to take: making exploring or plundering better, or upgrading my storage in my ship or making it sail farther. I'm leaning toward plundering and hold space right now, but I'll have to wait and find out what the rewards are for exploring, which you only access in the captain's book when you explore that region. Maybe the rewards will be super good and I'll think about needing more dice for that than for raiding, who knows?

However, and I must mention this, the reviews for Seafall are mixed at best. One of the problems, as pointed out by the Dice Tower here, is that the game had so much hype to it. Your expectations are shot so high by anticipation that when it finally comes around to play it, you might be disappointed. Also, as pointed out in this review here, while Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy had legacy elements put onto an already fun well established game, Seafall did not. So while the legacy aspects might seem exciting, the game itself by its own might not stand the test of time. I'm still excited and want to play, but I'm not sure how smart it would be to spread out all the games over the entire Winter break like we were planning on. Maybe playing 2 or even 3 games in one day might be better? Who knows. We'll find out during Christmas break. Which I'm totally excited for.

Bushes of Love

The other day I walked some students down to their classroom during lunch because they were just standing around the hallway. When I got them back to their class which was having lunch in there, they were watching one of the wriest you tube videos I've ever seen. And the thing is, I swear I've seen it before. If I were to guess I'd say that it was Danny that showed me way back in the day when they lived in the Stoehr's first house (as opposed to their second house where Heather had Thanksgiving with us a few years ago, and their third house which they have now), but that can't be right because the video's only 11 months old.  I swear I remember being scared that a chicken-duck-woman-thing would attack me from the bushes though when I was younger... oh well. Here's the video:


Somerset

Without photoshop on my computer, it's hard to work on files for the rules for Somerset, but here's the cover page and the first page at least:




No comments:

Post a Comment