Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Henry in the Christmas Pageant, added games to list

Last week on Saturday we had a ward Christmas party! There was great food and we got to talk to friends and have a wonderful time.  One of the things we did was the Primary and Nursery put on a little Christmas pageant for the ward. The Nursery got to be the main actors and the Primary got to play the farm animals that were in the stable. Hannah got Henry a little cow hat and so Henry was a cow for the pageant.  I videoed it, and then put it on youtube.  I've included it here for your enjoyment!



Last week I posted my list of games I am planning on playing at least once during Christmas break. My mom and cousin made a few more suggestions. They are as follows.

Liebrary: A fun (and funny) game where the players are read a book title and synopsis, and then have to make up what they think the first line of the book is.  Meanwhile the player that read the card writes down the real first line of the book. Answers are collected, shuffled, and then read out loud, and players guess which one is the real first title. They move forward if they guess it correctly or if anyone guesses for their line. "Is this thing on? Is this thing on?"


Wits and Wagers: A trivia party game where you don't have to know the exact answer. All the answers are numbers, and once everyone guesses a number you arrange them from smallest to largest and guess which was was the closet to the right answer without going over.


Apples to Apples pictures: I looked this up online and I think its name is technically Big Picture Apples to Apples. Apples to Apples with pictures instead of words.


Oddly Obvious: A party game where the answers are written on the card; all you have to do is shout out the correct one before anyone else.  Let's hope that I'm better at Alex than this.


Specter Ops: My cousin Ben made this suggestion. This was listed as one of the Dice Tower's top ten deduction games. It was also on their list of top ten games that stress them out due to the fact that all the players but one are tracking and hunting down that one player, and so playing as that one player is super intense, so I can't wait to try.



Well, that's it for now. Those were the suggestions I got from my family.  But there are a few more....
For my Game Design Winterim class this year I've been getting stuff together. The first two to three class periods this year will be introducing the students to different game mechanics they might not have heard of before. Some have only ever played Monopoly. (If you just died inside reading that, I feel ya.) The following three games are games I ordered for the class that I might also bring down to Fallon to play this Christmas if there's interest.

Shakespeare: I picked this one because it has a worker placement mechanism, some blind bidding, variable turn order, and a little bit of card drafting. And it has to do with Shakespeare, which is awesome. This game actually arrived today! In Shakespeare you have six days to practice putting on a play, hiring actors, and getting set designers and costume makers to put on the best play possible. It has a very high rating and has received positive reviews.


Sushi Go!: This game is pure card drafting. Much like 7 Wonders, which I was considering for the class, but this one is much simpler and therefore I think better. You basically pass your hand around getting a new card every turn just like 7 Wonders and trying to complete sets of sushi. This game has also received very positive reviews.


Scotland Yard: This game won the Spiel de Jahres way way way back in the day in the year 1983. This is the game Mr. Baker recommended. It's asymmetrical, which is the main reason why we're picking it. For those on the detective side it's also cooperative, which is another reason why we picked it. I've never played it before (except for once on my mission where we just had the board and pieces but no rules so we made up the rules) but it looks fun. I've never player Specter Ops before either but just based off of what I know of these two games they seem pretty similar.


3 comments:

  1. Yea, there's interest. Although I'm kinda afraid that if we add three new games to play there won't be enough time to play everything :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/File:Challenge-Accepted-Meme.jpg

      Delete
  2. ADORABLE NATIVITY!!!

    Well, we don't have much else happening while everyone is home for Christmas so we might as well be playing games. How are we going to keep track of the wins and losses? Is there was way to make rankings? The 3 new games you've added sound great, btw!

    ReplyDelete