Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful on Thanksgiving

On my brother Eric's blog he's making a list of things he's thankful for, including how he's thankful that math is self-consistent, which I am also very grateful for. Other things I'm grateful for (besides, of course, games):

Heather, Henry, and I left early Wednesday morning to drive down to Mesa, Arizona to spend the holiday break with Heather's side of the family. And we left early. Like, I woke up at 4:20 am early. We left before the sun had even come up. Yay! Grateful!

Our car was making this weird noise. And by weird I mean it was super loud. Thankfully, my wife's uncle is a mechanic. He lives in Kanab right now, and had just moved there from Saint George. Well, our course this trip wasn't going to take us through Saint George, but it was taking us right through Kanab. We called him up wondering if when we got there he could look at our car for us. He said yes and we were able to stop in and talk and have him check out our car for free. Yay!

When Uncle Ken looked at our car, he said that our front left ball bearings were pretty shot. Like, really badly. Like, he said we couldn't finish going down to Mesa with it. Like, we'd be lucky to go another 5 miles on it. So super grateful we had him check it out. Yay!

There was a NAPA store in Kanab and we were able to buy the replacement part. Then, Uncle Ken replaced it for us--for free! Yay!

So super awesome that we were prevented from breaking down on the interstate, and that our uncle replaced the part for us for free. Which he wouldn't have been able to do unless we had left that early in the morning. Everything just clicked and came together. Totally a miracle. Yay!

Well, that took a while so even though we left super early we still wound up not arriving until really late. (Speaking of arriving, I really want to go see the new movie Arrival which got great reviews and is now in theaters.) I was getting sleepy (got up at 4:20, after all) but my wonderful wife Heather drove part of the way down so that I could sleep in the car. Yay! Sleep!

Also, we didn't take any wrong turns the whole trip down! Yay!

So we ended up arriving safe and sound (by a total miracle) in Mesa, Arizona at about 1 in the morning here. Then we got some much needed sleep.

Today (Thanksgiving day) we got up, and Henry's cousins came over and played and Heather and I were able to talk with her brothers and sisters and their spouses and kids and such Thanksgiving-y stuff. And we had so much good food it was fantastic. On a more serious note, I truly am very grateful to have food on my table, and am very often aware of how many people live their lives with little to nothing and are never sure where their next meal will come from. My heart goes out to them. I have no idea what that would be like-I have never had to want for food my entire life, and I truly am very very grateful for that.

After the food we had a rest period and later on went and played tennis at some tennis courts until it got dark out. Then we went back home and had pie. Including Pumpkin Pie. Mmmm... pumpkin pie. It's my favorite.

Later on we talked, watched some football, and played some Super Smash Brothers. All in all it was a great Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment