Sunday, June 14, 2020

Research to get games published; Newlands

This last week I have been working hard on accomplishing one of my life goals: to get one of my games published.

This included, but was not limited to, doing a bunch of research and finding out which game companies were accepting submissions, and what kind of games they are looking for/what kinds of games they have already published.

Hence pages and pages of notes.








I also emailed some companies asking if they accepted game submissions, because it wasn't clear if they did or not on thier site. Three got back to me, all saying they would accept submissions: Rio Grande Games, Czech Games Edition, and Stonghold games.

I've never gotten this far in my life in my path to publishing a game.

And then I sat back, and was like, "Oh. I only have two games that are really polished and ready enough to submit."

Those being Somerset and We Three Kings. I submitted Somerset to Rio Grande games and need to make a how to play video for We Three Kings before I send that submission off.

All of my other games I have created are only, like, 90% completed. I guess I just gave up after that point and didn't put in that little bit of finishing effort to complete them.

Examples: Klidrins: I still need to make the Event cards. Arabesque: I still need to test out my new and improved rule set. Newlands: Continued playtesting to tighten the rules, and finishing up the artwork.

My brother Ryan got a 3D printer and was like, "Yo Andrew if you need any game pieces to be 3D printed let me know." And I was like, "Okay, I can't think of any right now." But then this whole I-have-to-get-a-game-published thing started, and I was like, "Ryan, some sweet ships and settlements would look sick for this game." And he was like, "Totally." 

Anyway, the idea for Newlands came from how cool olden times maps look. 


Here's an example of how the tiles will probably look. I've been doing playtesting by myself and improving the rules.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to.

1 comment: