Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Somerset tiles

Let's not talk about the election yesterday. (I voted for McMullin for President btw who nearly tied Clinton for 2nd place in Utah. Even though all of Utah's votes for McMullin and Hillary combined didn't even match the number of votes Trump got in Utah.)

Instead, let's talk about games and how awesome they are.

The tiles for Somerset are now done. They still need play testing to see if the different strategies are balanced and such, but the good news is that its' already got some play testing from some of my students at school who play it during the study hall period.  They come in and ask if they can play it, so I get it out and they set it up and play it, and occasionally ask me for rules clarifications. Because of their sample runs, I've already been able to fix some bugs.

I haven't started working on any art or anything for the cards, but I have the index-card cards to play with right now and that's good enough. I still need to test out the cards to see how good they are, but right now I'm focused on the tiles.  There are 25 of them which are always available to anyone to buy.  There are also the starting tiles, which are way less powerful but you start with them so hey. The starting tiles I made to look like it's the city, which I'm calling the City of Camelot, and then the tiles you can buy are made to look like the country side. So you start off in the city and build out into the countryside better actions.

The starting tiles for 2 players. They are to be laid down in a random configuration. The sword in the stone is the first player marker.

The starting tiles you add for 3 players. The starting tiles you add for 4-5 players.

Advancement actions: Turn a peasant into a knight or a knight into a wizard. (It cost resources to do so.)

Advance on the government track or activate an action on the government track that you've already reached.

The Government track. Get money, or get resources, or get magic/cast a spell, or get building/spell cards.


Resource tiles. I'm not sure what else to say about these. Rutabaga.

Actions that allow you to draw building cards or spell cards. These cards are (should be? will be?) really nice.

The Magic actions. Either collect Magic, cast a spell, or both. (You must have at least one wizard before you can cast spells, however.) When you cast a spell it uses up a certain amount of magic.

These are the random or miscellaneous tiles. Do an action of a tile surrounding the one you're on, get money, build with a discount, or build some roads.

There you have it. Ah snap, sorry, I just remembered as I'm writing this that there were also going to be 7 Attack tiles that you can play with as well, but are optional if you don't want to play with attack tiles. So I'll have to do those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment