Sunday, August 29, 2021

Home-made Stratego, Newlands playtesting

 Last Sunday we went to grandma and grandpa Johnson's house. The aunts, uncles, and some of the older cousins played Codenames and Blokus.



On Saturdays there have been an estate sale that has sold a ton of games. I got two copies of Stratego. One Henry and I play all the time. With the other one I cleared off the pieces so that I can put my own stickers on them for my own game. I think it's going to be a Stormlight Archive theme, with the red Parshendi fighting against the blue Alethi soldiers on the shattered plains, but I'm not 100% sure yet.


Speaking of Stratego, I think I inspired Henry, because today he and I made a home-made Stratego game out of paper and cardstock. Below is a picture of us playing.


With my wife's help, I contacted the game designer I met at the boardgame day. He sent me his number and I called him. We talked for a while and he asked me about what game I wanted to playtest with the group. The game we talked about was Newlands. He asked me a bunch of questions about it, including what type of data I wanted to get out of the sessions, and I told him I wanted to see if I could balance the different paths to victory, i.e. building sails or cannons or anchor spots, and building a bunch of tiny islands vs. just a few big ones. They meet on Wednesdays. I wasn't able to make it this last Wednesday, but I'm going this upcoming one. I'll let you know how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment