Sunday, May 1, 2022

Found one book from our childhood, looking for another

I finally found it! After all these years! The scroll of truth! Posting your political opinions on Facebook doesn't change anyone's mind. Nyehhh! 

But in all actuality, I did finally find it after all these years of searching.  Eric made a blog post a while ago with things from our/his childhood that he fuzzily remembers but couldn't quite pin down. LINK to that blog post. The #6 entry is as follows: Mid-to-late ‘90s-early-to-mid ‘00s. It was like a Usborne puzzle book, full-page full-color illustrations each spread containing its own puzzle, kind of deal, though I remember it being significantly fancier and more difficult. It was separated into different sections/periods in which the story takes place; there was a medieval period, an Underground Railroad period, a future period with aliens, etc. I remember one chapter in the Underground Railroad section was named Midnight Rendezvous, because I had no idea what a rendezvous was or how it was pronounced. At the end it turned out that all the sections interconnected to tell a single story, and one artifact from one time period turned out to be a macguffin from a different time period under a different name, that kind of thing.

Well, I was also really curious because I too remember this one. Every so often I would try to find it and search it up online, with no hits. Until last week.

That's right my friends, I finally found it. It is called the Usborne Book of Superpuzzles. (The Midnight Rendezvous puzzle is on page 100 btw.)

I can now check that off the list. 

I tried looking for the other ones on Eric's list, but haven't been able to locate any more.

Here's a book from my childhood that I want to find: It was a children's book that was all black and white illustrations, reminds me of Chris Van Allsburg illustrations. It was a Halloween book about some trick or treaters that went into an old house and it was bigger inside and one page there was a door on a small island in the middle of a giant ocean and the door was non-Euclidean because if you looked at the backside it was normal but if you looked through the frontside a giant staircase rose up. And the kids at the end eventually meet with the real monsters that were running the place and they hung out and laughed and watched as other kids entered into the house before they left. Anyone know what book this is? I've been trying to find it but can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment