Sunday, March 8, 2020

Feelings, the Flu, and Full schedule, wa-hoo

What do you call the emotion when you don't feel anything at all? Like, you're not happy or sad, or awake or tired, you simply just exist? Like, as absence of emotion? And why do we think we always have to feel some sort of emotion? I've been feeling pretty, I don't know, melancholic lately, but also tired, frustrated, and numb. Overwhelmed, too, I would think.


My Spring Break job starts tomorrow.

The flu has killed about 56,000 people a year, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The Coronavirus has killed, like, less than 10% of that? As of right now it has a 3.5% fatality rate. So... why is everyone freaking the crap out? I have a theory. Did you know that every year cows kill more people than sharks kill people? Yet people are way more scared of sharks. Maybe it's one of those things where emotion trumps logic and facts.

Another theory: Okay, I just did the math. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the flu infects about 9-45 million people each year, with a death rate of about 12-61 thousand each year. That's a fatality rate of only 0.13%, which is about 27 times more than 3.5%. In other words, the fatality rate of the Coronavirus is about 27 times MORE than the flu. Maybe that's why people are freaking out. Okay, that makes more sense to me.

The Magnificent Machine: rough photoshop page

I feel like I have so much stuff to do and no time to do it. There's this game idea, plus a few more game ideas, plus at least three book ideas to write, plus cleaning the house, lesson planning, grading my students' projects over the break, learning how to do the F2L step for the Rubik's Cube, and those are just the things I can think of right now that I want to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment