Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ryan's visit with games

Ryan passed trough twice last week. He and his girlfriend were going down to help out her mom. He spent a couple nights here. When I asked him if anyone played the My Three kings game over Christmas, he said no. :(

While he was here, he, his girlfriend, Heather and I all played a new game I got for Christmas late: Century: Golem edition, with its play mat which is separate and extra. In it you play cards that can swap gems you ave for other gems, and you can then turn in gem sets for golems of different points. You start with just two cards but you can add cards to your hand throughout the course of the game, and which ones you get depends on your strategy. For example, one game I got a card that changed two blue gems into three green gems and two yellow gems, and then a card that turned two green gems into two blue gems. So if I play both on back to back turns I can essentially gain a green gem and two yellow gems via the two trades. And every game the hand you're going to be building for yourself is going to be different because the cards you can get are shuffled and come up in a random order. I like it. So did Ryan and so does Heather. Whenever I hear this game I am hearing it compared to Splendor, and I really love Splendor.

Ryan, Heather and I also played Dice Forge together when Ryan's girlfriend was at a friend's. We played two games and Heather won one and I won one. The second game we played used the more advanced cards and introduces more advanced die sides, which I haven't played with yet, so it was fun.

I other game related news, remember Alan Bahr? If not, here's a link to the post I talk about him: Link! Anyway, so the last I heard from Alan was July 28, 217, where he responded to my email about following up: "I'm not sure if you heard, but Stewart Wieck, founder and CEO of Nocturnal Media died at the end of June. Things are pretty up n the air due to his death (my job is ending and I've had to split my company off)." After that things just kind of died. I decided to contact him again in early January, and he got back to me saying that he wants to meet up with me soon to continue to talk. Since the Life, the Universe, and Everything conference (the conference I met him for the first time at) is coming up in February, we're going to meet up then.

Okay, so I was going to put some pictures up here, but for some reason this computer isn't letting me do that. So just pretend that this post also had pictures of everyone together and of Joy and such.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! I want pictures of Joy!!! And that's GREAT news about Alan Bahr wanting to meet up with you again. Keep us posted. And so sorry about not playing your game during Christmas. It was very different this year. I think I played only 1-2 games all break...whereas last year it was at least 2-3 games/day. I'm still planning on playing it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and pictures of Henry! And you and Heather!

    ReplyDelete